I have come to the conclusion that I make a lousy supermom.
I'm in the midst of a full-on panic right now. I have a full-time teaching load, which means teaching three courses, with just over 100 students, 75 of whom handed in essays this week, which I have promised to return next week.
I am also working on accumulating sources for my next literature review, which in turn sets me up for the first couple of chapters of my research paper for my M.Ed.
And then there's the distance learning course I'm developing.
Oh, and I seem to have accidentally been targeted as the next chairperson for the Governing Board of the boys' school.
The distance learning course is the one that is really freaking me out at the moment. I signed on for this course almost a year ago - after a few months of cajoling from the project manager - and at the time it seemed like a perfect opportunity. The proposed schedule looked like it dovetailed nicely with my teaching at Vanier, particularly since, at the time, I wasn't sure what my workload would be for the winter semester. As it turned out, I had a full-time load last winter, albeit at the last minute, but it didn't matter since the distance learning people met delay after delay, and I didn't have much work to do. I did a little (really little) bit over the summer, but there was not much demand at all for my time.
At my first meeting with them after the summer, I was introduced to my new project manager. It seems that one person had left the company, so everyone was shifting around, and my new PM was completely new, to the company as well as the project. This meant more delays, which means that now - just as I'm getting into week six of my semester at my actual job - this PM is expecting me to spend, in her words, "two full days, on average," every week, on the distance learning course.
I sent her a letter today, with a copy for my former PM, who is now her supervisor, explaining that I was more than a little concerned with the new schedule (and the pressure from the new PM), given that the delays were not mine, and that the revised schedule still expected delivery before next summer, which means no more dovetailing with my full-time teaching schedule.
I'm not sure what to expect from this - my guess is that there will be some attempt to negotiate a mutually agreeable timetable. I'm a little worried that I'll cave - I really do want to do this course, and I have already invested a lot of time and thought - but I have no time left. There's also the issue of the money. This is a nice contract, which essentially pays for the upstairs bathroom renovation. But, as I said to a friend yesterday, having a beautiful new bathroom is pointless if I've worked myself to death before it's finished.
OK, back to the essays.